The signs that your partner could turn violent.
While it is important to understand signs that your partner could turn violent, please understand that it is not the responsibility of the survivor/abused partner to prevent their own death or injury.
Abusers are cunning, deceptive and manipulative. Through love bombing techniques, they can start out as the most romantic partners, but tactics of control often begin with earning a survivor’s trust.
If you’ve endured life with an abusive partner, it was not your fault. When in the thick of the situation, it can be harder to see those red flags, versus when you are further removed from the situation.
Things to keep an eye on….
The following are some indicators of potential abuse. Having a few of these indicators does not mean a person is abusive, but these are things to keep an eye on:
- Pressures you to move faster or to commit in a relationship before you are ready.
- Has been abusive to other partners or loved ones.
- Beleives in stereotypical gender roles and that the man makes the decisions.
- Becomes jealous and possessive, or tries to isolate you from your loved ones/sources of independence.
- Treats you differently in public than they do behind closed doors.
- Predominately expresses the emotions anger and jealousy.
- Has rapid changes in mood or can escalate anger quickly.
- Is insensitive to others’ suffering.
- Hurts children or animals.
- Monitors where you are going, what you are doing, who you are with and what you buy.
- Doesn’t respect your boundaries or take “no” as an answer.
Take a moment to consider what is happening in your situation, before committing to someone who shows any of these warning signs. When in doubt, read out.