There are supports available for seniors citizens experiencing intimate partner violence in NL.
There’s no such thing as aging out of intimate partner violence. In a 2011 Stats Canada survey, approximately 3,000 individuals over the age of 55 reported spousal violence.
Seniors who experience intimate partner violence have distinct challenges to fleeing an abusive relationship, including deteriorating health, smaller social circles, and generational-specific attitudes/mind sets. Check out this CBC article from March 2020 for a further elaboration on this topic.
Local Resources to Consider
Are you a senior in NL experiencing intimate partner violence (IPV)? Here are some resources that exist for you.Read more...
- NL Domestic Abuse Hotline 1-888-709-7090 (24/7) – They can give you advice specific to your specific situation.
- RNC Intimate Partner Violence Unit: 709-729-8093 (Not monitored 24/7)
Connections for Seniors NL
Connections for Seniors NL seeks to empower seniors to overcome barriers to safe and affordable housing, and provide support services that help reduce risks to well-being and promote quality of life. They believe that all seniors have the right to feel safe, to feel healthy, and to make choices about their own lives.
Eastern Health Community Supports (Seniors)
If you are 65+ and requiring assistance with daily living and/or supplies and equipment which would enable them to remain at home, or if you require protection under the Adult Protection Act, contact Eastern Health Community Supports for Seniors.
Phone: 709- 752-4835
NL Adult Protection Line
Are you seeking protection or want to report abuse/neglect in Newfoundland? Contact the NL Adult Protection Line and maintain confidentiality. The situation will be reviewed by a social worker and, if appropriate, a plan will be put in place to protect the adult.
If you think somebody is being abused or neglected, it is your legal obligation to report it. Failure to do so is an offence and can lead to a fine of up to $10,000 and/or one year imprisonment. If you suspect somebody is being abused or neglected, call toll-free 1-855-376-4957 or contact your local police.
Seniors NL is dedicated to promoting the independence and well-being of older adults in Newfoundland and Labrador through the provision of information as well as various programs and services.
Phone: 709-737-2333 or toll-free 1-800-563-5599
Forms of Seniors/Elder Abuse
According to the Domestic Violence Resource Centre of Victoria (AU), elder abuse can be recognized in a variety of ways.Read more...
- Inappropriate handling
- Taking away/controlling an aid (EX: moving a mobility aid out of reach)
- Using medication to sedate
- Providing care in a cruel or rough manner
- Sexual assault
- Force or coercion to take part in unwanted sexual activity
- Withholding needed care in exchange for sexual favours
- Denying the right to make decisions due to their cognitive state
- Convincing the older person that they couldn’t cope without the carer
- Denying access to ‘small pleasures’
- Talking about ‘how hard it is to provide care’ in front of the older person
- Using a power of attorney to withhold money or misuse finances
- Not allowing the person to keep or carry their own money
- Withholding knowledge of their bank account balance or household bills paid
- Poor hygiene or refusing to wash the older person
- Withholding medication, personal or medical care
- Withdrawing care or equipment that immobilizes or leaves the older person without a way to call for help
- Refusing or delaying assistance following a personal accident or spillage
- Receiving the career’s pension without providing the care