When predators target a child, online or offline, what starts as seemingly friendly conversation, quickly escalates into a series of boundaries broken.
It’s important to teach your children about healthy boundaries as early as possible, especially in regards to online safety, and how to react when someone crosses a boundary.
[Boundary setting is]… The limits we set with other people, which indicate what we find acceptable and unacceptable in their behaviour towards us.Psychology Today
Violence Prevention Avalon East has created a toolkit to help parents understand:
- What exactly does it mean to set a boundary?
- The impact of talking to your children about boundary setting
- Examples of respecting people’s boundaries
- Examples of breaking people’s boundaries
- Ways to start a dialogue with your children, using these examples
- Tips on how to talk to your children about boundary setting
For more information about online safety, check out our online safety resources.
Are you an educator, or looking for a way to talk about bullying and online safety with your children? Check out our K-12 toolkits!